National Coalition for Homelessness (2009)
- 20% of homeless youth are LGBTQ. In comparision, the general youth population is only 10% LGBTQ.
- While homeless youth typically experience severe family conflict as the primary reason for their homelessness, LGBTQ youth are twice as likely to experience sexual abuse before the age of 12.
- LGBTQ youth, once homeless, are at higher risk for victimization, mental health problems, and unsafe sexual practices. 58% of LGBTQ homeless youth have been sexually victimized compared to 33.4% of heterosexual homeless youth.
- LGBTQ youth are roughly 7.4 times more likely to experience acts of sexual violence than heterosexual youth.
- LGBTQ homeless youth commit suicide at higher rates (62%) than heterosexual homeless youth (29%).
Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network (2007 Survey of LGBTQ middle and high school students)
- 60% felt unsafe in their school because of their sexual orientation
- 86% were verbally or physically harrassed in the last year
- 33% had skipped a day of school in the past month because of feeling unsafe
- 96% had heard negative comments regarding gender expression
- 85% reported being verbally harrassed because of sexual oriendation or gender expression in the past year
- 49% also reported physical harrassment
- 38% felt unsafe at school because of gender expression
- 34% reported physical assault based on sexual orientation or gender expression