Arrival Assistance for New International Students
Congratulations! The Office of Intercultural Relations (OIR) welcomes all new international students to Old Dominion University and we hope to make you feel at home during your academic experience at ODU!
The Spring 2013 mandatory International Student Orientation will be held on Wednesday, January 9th, 2013. All new international students must be in attendance for the entire program. Please plan ahead and make sure you arrive in Norfolk, VA before the orientation date. Click here to learn more about the Spring 2013 International Student Orientation
Arrival Assistance: Spring 2013 (Available from December 17, 2012 - January 7, 2013)
In partnership with current ODU students and student organization volunteers, OIR assists new international students with their arrival to Norfolk. The arrival service is free of charge and only available for new international students. The request must be submitted at least 7 days prior to your arrival in Norfolk, VA. Please also note the services will only be available during the specified arrival assistance period.
Pick-up service is available from the Norfolk (ORF) airport or bus terminal in Norfolk to the temporary housing provided or the accommodation that the student has pre-arranged. If students arrive in another city than Norfolk, it is the responsibility of the student to arrange the transportation at his/her own expenses.
Norfolk Local Taxi Company:
Norfolk Black & White Cabs
Norfolk Checker Taxi
Spring 2013 temporary accommodation is not guaranteed and it will only be available based upon the availability of volunteers. If available, you may be placed to stay with a volunteer host depending on their availability. All temporary accommodation will be shared!
Arrival Assistance Process:
1. A new international student submits the request online at least 7 days prior to arriving in Norfolk.
2. OIR will send you a confirmation email, within 48 hours after receiving the arrival assistance application, confirming your application has been received.
3. OIR will contact the volunteers to check for availability and arrange with a volunteer for pick-up service and/or temporary accommodation.
4. Pick-up is guaranteed, but temporary accommodation is only dependent upon availability. OIR will send you a notification by email and let you know if the request for temporary housing can or cannot be accommodated.
5. It is your responsibility to reply the email to confirm with OIR that you received the email and agree to stipulated terms of the service(s).
6. If you receive assistance from a student volunteer/organization, a volunteer will pick you up at your stated arrival point and/or provide you with temporary accommodation, depending on what service(s) you requested.
7. Temporary accommodation provided by volunteers will resemble a home-stay or host family setting. You will stay with a student in his or her own apartment and most likely, you will share a bathroom and may sleep in a spare bedroom, on a couch, or air mattress.
Rachawan “Aey” Wongtrirat, Assistant Director, International Initiatives
Phone: (757) 683 4406
Fax: (757) 683-5360
Fulbright grantees please contact the Office of International Programs to receive arrival assistance services.
Contact person: Steve Bell, Director of Study Abroad
Office of Study Abroad
Old Dominion University
2006 Dragas Hall
Norfolk, VA 23529
Tel: (757) 683-5378
For additional pre-arrival information, continue to browse our website and please review:
-The Admitted Students Guide
-International Student and Scholar Services