Temporary Mobility Impairment
Use of Golf Cart Transportation
These guidelines are provided to identify evaluation reports that appropriately document students with temporary medical and physical disabilities which impact mobility. Students with the appropriate documentation of mobility impairment may receive transportation assistance through the Office of Educational Accessibility. If you have questions regarding any of these guidelines, please contact the Office of Educational Accessibility at (757) 683-4655.
The Physician Must Provide:
- A clear statement of the diagnosis of the medical or physical condition
- A description of the present symptoms/features, including the severity of the condition.
- The expected duration of the condition. Students may be required to furnish periodic re-certification of continuing need.
- Suggestions for reasonable accommodations or services.
The Student Must Provide:
- Proper documentation and fill out necessary paper work at least 48 hours prior to start date.
- A copy of their class schedule which indicates the EXACT pick up and drop off locations and times
- Golf cart transportation is available to pick students up from the residence halls before their first class of the day and to deliver students to the residence halls after their last class of the day (before 4:30pm). Transportation is not available to drive to residence halls between classes.
- Pick-up/drop-off begins no earlier than 9:45am and end no later than 4:30pm.
- If you are not at the designated location within 5 minutes of the scheduled time, the golf cart will leave to avoid disrupting the schedule for other students.
- You must notify the Office of Educational Accessibility with any cancellations at least one hour before the scheduled time.
- If you miss a pick-up you must contact the Office of Educational Accessibility and indicate the need for transportation for the remainder of the day.
- If you miss your ride 2 times without appropriate notification, you must meet with the Director of the Office of Educational Accessibility. If you miss your ride 1 time after this meeting without proper notification you will LOSE your ride privileges.
- Transportation services are only available during the fall and spring semesters.
- Please be aware that many students use these services, and we cannot guarantee that every student arrives to class on time. Transportation is not guaranteed at any particular time.
If the Office of Educational Accessibility cannot provide golf cart transportation, there is a campus shuttle that operates Monday - Thursday 7:30 AM to Midnight and Friday 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM. For more information please see the Parking and Transportation Services website: (http://www.odu.edu/af/parking/transportation/shuttle.shtml)